This list was created by AirHelp, a company that helps clients who have experienced delayed or cancelled flights – taking the following three factors into consideration:
- How often the airline was on time.
- Quality of the service based on reviews by customers.
- How an airline handles complaints and processes claims.
10 best airlines of 2018
- Qatar Airways (which is apparently on time 89% of the time)
- Singapore Airlines
- South African Airways
- Austrian Airlines
- Aegean Airlines
- Air Malta
- Virgin Atlantic
This list may seem surprising, but while some airlines fare extremely well in terms of being on time, they may not do very well when it comes to customer service, and processing claims.
You will also notice that there is not a low-cost carrier in sight on this list – that is not because they were excluded from the study, but rather because being on time and service can be an issue in the budget sector of the industry.
10 worst airlines of 2018
- Jet Airways
- Aerolineas Argentinas
- Korean Air
- Air Mauritius
- Pakistan International Airlines
- Royal Jordanian Airlines
- WOW Air
As South Africans, many of these airlines are not familiar to us, but it’s still worth taking note, should you have to travel internally at a destination, or come across one of these airlines in your travels.
What about the airports?
Then of course, it’s not just about the airline right! We don’t stumble off a plane, onto the runway and then make our way to the closest road…
Airports also play a role in the whole air travel experience, which is why AirHelp put together a best and worst list for airports too (not that we always have a choice as to which airport we fly into).
This list took into consideration the flow of air traffic (whether planes could leave on time or not), quality of service and online sentiment from customers.
Best airports of 2018
- Hamad International Airport, Doha
- Athens International Airport
- Tokyo Haneda International Airport
- Cologne Bonn airport
- Singapore Changi Airport
- Nagoya Chubu Centrair Airport, Japan
- Viracopos International Airport, Brazil
- Amman Queen Alia Airport, Jordan
- Guararapes-Gilberto Freyre International Airport, Brazil
- Quito International Airport, Ecuador
Worst airports of 2018
- Eindhoven Airport, Netherlands
- Bordeaux Merignac, France
- Edinburgh Airport, Scotland
- Boryspil International Airport, Ukraine
- Manchester Airport, UK
- Stockholm Bromma Airport
- Paris Orly
- Lyon-Saint-Exupery Airport, France
- London Stansted Airport
- Kuwait International Airport
So the next time you’re looking for cheap international flights, make sure you know who is more likely to get you there on time and if not, will at least be savvy enough about service, to know how to make up for it.